Friday 19 April 2013

The 'Tourney Scene.'


The 'Tourney Scene'

     A month ago this very weekend, I was making preparations for the journey north to hobby HQ to participate in a weekend of gaming known as the 'Throne of skulls'.

     One aspect of my chosen hobby is the opportunity to compete with those "like-minded" individuals over tournament events held throughout the annum. Having not ventured into the 'tourney scene' for a number of years, a recent decision to participate at Nottingham's Throne of skulls weekend with friends seemed like the perfect way to rekindle my love for competitive play amongst my fellow hobbyists.

     Already, I can see your rolling eyes & sniggering at the prospect of fully grown men making war over tiny incarnations of our mis-spent youth and blah, blah blah. Indulge me a little ok?

     There is always a perception. One that is often cruel even amongst the inner circles of this most indoor of activities. An expectation of costumes, thick norse beards & accents, as well as other visual extremities associated with participation typical of the personalities presumed to frequent the tournament.

     What I expected to come across on arrival was a weekend of contesting an inch of distance here, a typo in a rule there, or hushed declaration of a last minute tactical change or forgotten manoeuvre, continually manipulated by the power gamer peacocking at my gaming table's polar opposite.

     I couldn't have been more wrong.

      Of the five opponents I faced over the varying scenarios arrayed before us during the weekend, none fitted the stereotype of my imaginations. It was a genuine pleasure to indulge my hobby for the entirety of the weekend without feeling trapped in a high pressure 'math-hammer' environment, nor was there any sign of fancy dress. ( Ok, there was one! )

     It was great to meet bands of brothers bragging about their victories & contemplating the 'what if's' during defeats along with our own experiences from the weekend. I even managed a few wins myself! I can honestly say that even amongst the 150+ gamers involved I failed to encounter a single 'Power-Gamer' or rules Nazi, and was delighted at the absence of my pre-conceptive myths.

     The only element that put me to shame throughout was the sheer patience & love other gamers had poured into their models, making my collection pale in comparison. The thought & design as well as colour schemes and techniques displayed was truly inspiring, and not only did I feel the urge to investigate the next event dates available instantly on my return, I began go reassess every shade and detail of my own collection.

     Blends of light & dark, virtue & evil, portrayed in third dimension can often be over-shadowed by the basic stigma of "toys" on a board. The artistry & vision of the painter completely engulfed by criticism of their chosen method of canvas. I felt reassuringly inspired to revisit my own works and challenge myself to improve upon them. I urge anyone who mocks the pastime to truly look in detail at the fruits of our kaleidoscopic labour & consider the painstaking eye for detail & unwavering patience endured by the hobbyists, and their ability to make these designs a reality.
    So as I sit surrounded by tiny paint pots and fine trimmed brushes at my favourite table,   I feel rejuvenated to begin a new painting project worthy of the array of armies seen during my venture northward. If only I could create an entry rich in theme and artistic techniques, if only........

     Watch this space...

No comments:

Post a Comment